Friday, February 24, 2012

WEEK THREE


- Luke Schneider




“Traveling has become somewhat of an addiction for many of us. It seems as though every Wednesday has become the “planning” day for the following weekends adventures. As nice as Lille is, it’s fantastic to leave for the weekend and see something new. So last weekend I headed up to Rotterdam in the Netherlands. It was a very welcome sight with all its modern architecture and tall high-rises. Rotterdam reminded me of a European version of Chicago though not nearly as large. High rises seem to rise out of the water and the channels split the city in many directions. It’s a very quiet city and the street life isn’t as prevalent as it is in Lille but it was rather nice not running into people every two seconds on the sidewalk.
Even though it was nice to be in a quiet city I wish I would have seen more street life down in the business district near the Erasmus Bridge. It was a beautiful area with huge skyscrapers rising everywhere but no one seemed to walk due to the lack of street life on the lower levels of these buildings. After researching and designing high rises for an entire semester it was almost bothersome that the buildings had no retail or restaurants on the base floor. These high rises were amazing pieces of architecture but the area almost reminded me of a ghost town it was so quiet. Don’t get me wrong though, I did find Rotterdam to be my favorite city thus far. It was a gorgeous city and a fantastic place to ask Whitney to marry me!….
This coming weekend we’ll be traveling to Frankfurt in hopes to find more European examples of modern architecture. Frankfurt is the “most international” city in Europe so I hope to see a mix of German and different international styles in their buildings. In the next few weeks we will be starting our semester long project, so by visiting different cities like Rotterdam and Frankfurt I hope to see what modern/contemporary architecture can look like in an old city. We’ll be working on bringing life back into an area of the city that has been left since the seventies. By visiting all these different cities each weekend I hope we can all bring different ideas to the table in order to create some fantastic designs.”   - Craig Martin







No comments:

Post a Comment